Beth Emet

Beth Emet

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Goodies reflections
Second time I am writing this. OMG…. I wish I had saved it correctly.
People are very nice and helpful. The other day we went out looking a place to eat dinner. Traffic was bumper to bumper. At a light someone came up to the back of the car. Yes the old window washer trick. However Peter was looking for some change to tip but he went away. There is no tipping in the country. Nice. They want to be of service. Even the super did a few things for us. He wouldn’t take a tip. So I made him some shortbread. That he took. Smart man. He didn’t want to make me feel badly. I have several things that need to be done in Evanston. It would cost only $1900.00 in coach. Oh well just a thought.
Every time I want to call home it is 3 AM at home. Too early and the day is always wrong. 1 day different. Tomorrow is another day.
Holidays are very different this year. No family, chicken soup. brisket, or turkey. I looked for chicken livers the other day in the super market. I thought I would surprise Peter with a little touch of home. But nowhere to be found. I guess the New Zealanders don’t eat chicken so no livers. It is hard to be Jewish in this country. Someone told us his grandfather was a Kosher butcher and had to go out of business. No one would buy meat from Christchurch. Too bad.
The holidays were coming up and I decided to get my nails done. We went to one of the malls. The nail salon was in the middle of the hall. It was cold. No problem they had a heating pad for my tush. So my arms and legs were cold but bottom was toasty warm. The store on one side was Polo. Not one person came out with a bag. No sale on polo shirts $75.00. Surprisingly, very few stores were empty or going out of business like in the States. Getting back to the nails. It was a good thing I brought my own polish because the colors they had were black, green, and blue. Not my style. Not sure they celebrate Halloween. A woman sat next to me and had tips put on. After they were glued on, someone else came and did one hand and the other hand was done by someone else. One hand could be 4 incnes. the other 2 inches. Maybe a new style. Time will tell.
Things are very expensive. Sample sizes Adults $99.00 Children 89.00. That was for sandals. If you come to New Zealand, make sure you bring everything you think you need.
This is a very gay friendly country. One article said, they are more interested in what kind of car you drive than your life style. Nice to see.
Rugby is the main religion in New Zealand and it is still a mystery. Give me baseball, basketball or football any day. The commentary is as funny as the game. Why anyone wants to catch the ball and have everyone pile on top of you. This is a rough game.. Ouch!!!!
The other day we took a ferry to Wakiheke Island to visit a congregant for lunch. They live on 7 acres and have a sustainable farm. They have young people working it. They were working on a new Chicken coop. They have 4 chickens. The farmer showed me the eggs that were laid. It was like an Easter basket. Blue, brown, green. Dr. Suess knew something. I didn’t know about green eggs and ham. It was a cold and rainy day. We plan to go back and see the wineries that the island is famous for. We will taste and eat lunch. But we will wait until it gets warmer. I hope before we leave.
Peter went shopping the other day without me. When he got home, he told me this story. When he found the car to put groceries into the car he opened the door. The wrong side. Not unusual but he opened the door and sat inside. Then noticed the wheel was on the other side. Not automatic yet. I am glad I wasn’t around. I would still be laughing.
 
Oh what a country! Fun to experience new ways. People are always dressed in black. Not sure if it is because the World Cup. New Zealand is called the All Blacks. You just don’t know who is a real Kiwi. So many Japanese, Koreans, Indonesians. Therefore there are many ethnic restaurants. Some good , some tasty. You just don’t know until it is in your belly. Too late to leave.
Services went well. Peter wowed them and me.   It is a small place and everyone helps.--moving chairs, bringing a light meal for a nosh. It is still cold and very windy. I decided not to go to the cemetery for a service today. They will do without me this time.
  Signing off for now.
  Elaine
 

No comments:

Post a Comment